What is the Industrial Distribution Leadership Certificate Program (IDLCP)?
The IDLCP is a six-course program covering a wide range of business knowledge and skills specifically focused on industrial distribution as well as manufacturers who use distribution. It is a college-accredited certificate program.
What does the IDLCP consist of?
This program consists of six online courses each taking 14 weeks to cover.
- Business fundamentals in industrial distribution
- Leadership and effective communications in industrial distribution
- Customer service, sales and marketing in industrial distribution
- Operational fundamentals in industrial distribution
- Negotiations in industrial distribution
- Industrial distribution integrated case study course (also known as the Capstone Course)
Which employees will benefit from the IDLCP?
The IDLCP can be used to fast track high potential recent hires with at least a few months (but preferably a year) on the job as well as to upgrade experienced staff. Students with experience levels from 3 months to 35 years have taken these courses successfully.
How does the IDLCP differ from other courses and programs?
- The IDLCP was developed and written by senior managers working in industrial distribution. As a result the content is highly relevant to those working in or with industrial distribution.
- The IDLCP courses put great emphasis on teaching knowledge and skills that can be applied immediately on the job.
How do the IDLCP online courses work?
- Students register online and are provided with password access to the course website.
- Toll-free technical support is available at any point in the course.
- Each course has an instructor who monitors student progress, marks assignments and facilitates assigned discussions.
- Every week students get a lesson that consists of a video lecture. They are provided with PowerPoint slides and notes that complement the material presented in the video.
- At regular intervals (weekly in some courses or every few weeks in others) students are given an assignment to complete and submit online.
- Each course also includes online discussions on relevant topics.
- Each course has a major final assignment or an online final exam.
How much time is involved for the students?
- On average, students should expect to put in five to six hours per week in order to master the material and do well in each course whether in-class or online. Some weeks will be less than this, but some, especially if they involve a large assignment, will be more.
How is the IDLCP a management development tool?
- Students are encouraged to discuss things they learn with their managers and supervisors. This provides the latter with the chance to coach their reports and to encourage them in their studies. This interaction makes the students feel valued and, through the implementation of changes where appropriate, brings direct benefits to the organization.